Marvel’s ‘Eternals’ is just about the most highly awaited movie of the year. The superhero flick, which releases globally on November 5, is directed by Chloe Zhao stars and Hollywood A-listers such as Angelina Jolie, Salma Hayek, Gemma Chan, Richard Madden and Kumail Nanjiani.
Here’s the essential dummy’s guide to all things ‘Eternals’ you need to go through before watching the movie.
- Created by American comic book artist and writer Jack Kirby, the Eternals are an immortal alien race. They were made by the Celestials, Marvel’s cosmic gods. The Eternals made their comic series debut in July 1976.
- The Eternals get their powers from cosmic energy. These powers range from flight to superhuman strength, teleportation to force field generation, projecting cosmic energy beams to manipulating inanimate matter and more.
- The Eternals are split between five generational groups. The film features ten Eternals spanning each generation. They are: Sersi (Gemma Chan), Ikaris (Richard Madden), Kingo (Kumail Nanjiani), Thena (Angelina Jolie), Ajak (Salma Hayek), Sprite (Lia McHugh), Phastos (Brian Tyree Henry), Druig (Barry Keoghan), Gilgamesh (Don Lee) and Makkari (Lauren Ridloff).
- In the comic series, Makkari, Sprite and Ajak are men. In the film version, they are women, portrayed by Ridloff, McHugh and Hayek respectively.
- ‘Eternals’ depicts multiple firsts for superheroes in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) – the first deaf superhero (Makkari) and first openly gay superhero (Phastos).
- Chloe Zhao is MCU’s first-ever solo female director, and the third Oscar winner to direct an MCU film. The other two are Joe Johnston (‘Captain America: The First Avenger’) and Taika Waititi (‘Thor Ragnarok’).
- The film sees ‘Game of Thrones’ stars Kit Harrington and Richard Madden reunite after the series. Ramin Djawadi, the composer of ‘Game of Thrones’ has also composed the score for the film.
- This is Gemma Chan’s second appearance in the MCU. Previously, she portrayed Minn-Erva in ‘Captain Marvel’.
- Clocking in a run-time of 157 minutes, ‘Eternals’ is the second longest film in the MCU after ‘Avengers: Endgame’ which had a run-time of 181 minutes.
- Harry Styles makes his entry in the MCU as Eros in the post-credits scene.
Director: Chloe Zhao
Cast: Angelina Jolie, Salma Hayek, Gemma Chan, Richard Madden, Kit Harrington, Kumail Nanjiani, Lia McHugh, Brian Tyree Henry, Lauren Ridloff, Barry Keoghan, Don Lee
Release: November 5