We’ve lost count of the number of times we’ve watched Priyadarshan’s 2007 horror-comedy ‘Bhool Bhulaiyaa’. Starring Akshay Kumar, Vidya Balan and Shiney Ahuja, the film delivers on all counts: story, acting, music and an iconic ghostly entity – Manjulika.
After 15 years, a standalone sequel titled ‘Bhool Bhulaiyaa 2’, starring Kartik Aaryan, Tabu and Kiara Advani, releases in cinemas on Friday, May 20. Here’s all you need to know about it.
1. The only elements this movie has in common with the 2007 film are its title, two original songs (‘Bhool Bhulaiyaa’ and ‘Aami Je Tomar’), Manjulika and the haunted haveli in Rajasthan.
2. The film also has a different director: Anees Bazmee, best known for hits such as ‘No Entry’ and ‘Welcome’, takes over the reins from Priyadarshan.
3. Rajpal Yadav is the only actor from the 2007 film to feature in the sequel. He reprises his role of Chhote Pandit.
4. Bazmee has said that this story is completely original. Unlike the first film, which had a psychological element, this one is an all-out supernatural thriller.
5. This is the first time Bazmee has worked on a horror film. The writer-director is best known for comedies.
6. The film, which was shot in majorly in Rajasthan, was initially scheduled to release on July 31, 2020.
7. Aaryan essays the role of Ruhan Randhawa aka Rooh Baba, a man who claims to be able to see and communicate with spirits. All hell breaks loose when Ruhan and his girlfriend Reet Thakur (Advani) visit a haveli in Rajasthan and set Manjulika free.
8. The late Sushant Singh Rajput was reportedly offered the role of Ruhan. But he declined it.
9. This is Advani’s second horror-comedy; her first being the 2020 film ‘Laxmii’.
10. Pritam, who was the composer of the OG ‘Bhool Bhulaiyaa’, has composed the score with Tanishk Bagchi for this film.