Bubbly, lively and beautiful, Karisma Kapoor has been a Bollywood favourite ever since she first entered the industry. With her thick eyebrows and notorious attributes, Lolo was the queen of hits in the ’90s. Over the years, the charming diva proved to be a versatile actress, delivering top-notch performances in most of her films. Starting her career at an early age, Karisma went on to become one of the most successful actresses in the industry. Today, she is a recognised style icon! As the Kapoor lady celebrates her birthday, we take a look at some facts we probably didn’t know about her.
1. Karisma Kapoor dropped out of school in sixth grade to pursue acting. Her debut film ‘Prem Qaidi‘ released when she was just seventeen years old!
2. Karisma was not the first choice for the role of Nisha in the superhit film ‘Dil To Pagal Hai‘. The role was offered to Raveena Tandon and after she turned it down, a number of actresses were offered the same. From Juhi Chawla to Kajol and Shilpa Shetty to Manisha Koirala, it finally landed in Karisma’s hands. Not only did the actress do a convincing job as Nisha, but also won a National Award for the Best Supporting Actress!
View this post on Instagram
3. Lolo wasn’t the first choice for ‘Raja Hindustani‘ either. The film was supposed to be Aishwarya Rai’s debut in Bollywood. But Ash’s Miss World commitments kept her away from the industry and the role was given to Karisma instead. Raja Hindustani turned out to be one of Karisma’s biggest blockbusters of all times and the actress received her first Filmfare Award for Best Actress.
4. Like other leading ladies, Karisma too turned down some big films that went on to become highly successful. Juhi Chawla’s role in ‘Ishq‘, Manisha Koirala’s role in ‘Gupt‘, Aishwarya Rai’s role in ‘Bride and Prejudice‘ and even her sister Kareena Kapoor’s role in both ‘Asoka‘ and ‘Talaash‘ were initially written keeping Karisma in mind.
5. In 1998, Karisma became the first-ever Bollywood celebrity to have endorsed the international brand ‘Coca-Cola’ in India.
6. In 2002, Karisma’s name was featured in the annual Indian rich list of the Business Review Weekly with an estimated net worth of 8.1 million dollars.
7. In a career that spanned over 20 years, Karisma was linked with quite a few co-stars of her time. She was said to be romantically involved with Akshay Kumar and Ajay Devgn, but there was no official announcement. She was also in a relationship with Abhishek Bachchan and the two were even engaged. However, the duo called it quits due to personal reasons and Karisma went on to marry business tycoon, Sanjay Kapoor, while Abhishek married Aishwarya Rai.
View this post on Instagram
Here’s wishing you a fabulous birthday, Karisma Kapoor!