‘Jujutsu Kaisen 0’, the animated adaptation of the ‘Jujutsu Kaisen’ anthology series, releases in theatres on June 30. The film is the prequel to the anime, which streams on Netflix. The story revolves around a boy named Yuta Okkotsu, who inadvertently invokes the spirit of his childhood friend, Rika, after her tragic passing. But his actions have unforeseen consequences: Rika returns as a cursed, demonic version of herself.
The prequel explores how he deals with his grief, and how he eventually works with the cursed Rika to protect humans from evil sorcerers. Here’s everything you need to know about ‘Jujutsu Kaisen 0 before you catch it in theatres.
1. The four volumes of ‘Jujutsu Kaisen 0’ did not have enough material to produce a feature length film. A few chapters and incidents had to be fleshed out for the film to be made.
2. Yuta Okkutsu, the 16-year-old protagonist, is voiced by the legendary actor Megumi Ogata. She has voiced characters in popular animes like ‘Sailor Moon’, ‘Bleach’ and ‘Neon Genesis Evangelion’. Ogata also helped the makers of the film develop the sensitive aspects of Yuta’s personality.
3. ‘Jujutsu Kaisen 0’ also explores the origin story of the powerful Jujutsu teacher and sorcerer, Gojo Satoru. The antagonist of the film, Suguru Geto, shares a special relationship with Satoru. Their friendship, subsequent enmity and Geto’s radicalisation are explained in the film.
4. ‘JJK 0’ released in Japan in December 2021. The earliest public screenings were held at midnight in 58 screens on opening day. The screenings were attended by 15,000 people. The film earned $23.5 million in its first three days and went on to become the highest-grossing film in of 2021.
5. The film earned positive reviews from critics for its story, animation and characterisation. Reviewers appreciated how the themes of loss, love, grief, tragedy are dealt with in the narrative.