If you’re like us, you’d like to read a book before watching, it’s movie adaptation. Hollywood studios are known to look to novelists and short story writers for inspiration for films. 2017 was also brimming with book adaptations that grossed well at the box office, from Hidden Figures to Live by Night and the Fifty Shades series. If you want to prepare yourself for the next set of upcoming literary series, look no further; we’ve compiled a short list of must watch movies in 2018 that have been adapted from books.
1) Maze Runner: The Death Cure – The Death Cure is a 2011 young adult dystopian science fiction novel that’s being adapted into a movie. It is the third instalment of James Dashner’s novel, with the titular Maze Runner that released in 2014 and Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials that released in 2015 preceding it. This movie is set to be the final instalment in the trilogy. It will have the protagonist Thomas embarking on a mission to find a cure for a deadly disease known simply as ‘Flare’. The movie is set to release early next year in February.
2) Fifty Shades: Freed – E L James’ widely popular and controversial Fifty Shades trilogy will see its third instalment coming to theatres on Valentine’s Day in February. The deepening relationship between a college graduate and a young business magnate will be shown in the movie and their transition from a dating couple to a married one would be interesting to see. The series was hugely popular in the sense that it propelled its author to the top of the Forbes’ list of highest earning authors. Actor’s Dakota Johnson and Jamie Dornan will be seen reprising the lead roles.
3) Meg – Based on the 1997 science fiction book by Steve Alten, Meg tells the fictitious story of a former navy captain and expert diver, recruited for a deep-sea mission to rescue Chinese scientists under attack from a 70-foot white shark, an ancestor of big sharks. Meg stars’ action-star Jason Statham and Ruby Rose in lead roles and is set to release in August of 2018.
4) Ready Player One – The 2011 science fiction novel by Ernest Cline is being bought to life by legendary filmmaker Steven Spielberg and will hit theatres in March. The story is set in a dystopia in the year 2044 and follows a protagonist called Wade Watts who is on the search for an Easter Egg in a virtual reality game, the discovery of which will lead him to inherit a fortune in a world wrecked by energy crisis. The movie will star actors Tye Sheridan, Simon Pegg, T.J. Miller, Mark Rylance and Olivia Cooke.
5) A Wrinkle in Time – Last but definitely not the least, yet another exciting science fiction novel being adapted into a movie is A Wrinkle in Time that is being directed by Ava DuVernay. The film has a stellar cast of actors that includes popular talk show host Oprah Winfrey and actors Reese Witherspoon, Mindy Kaling, Storm Reid, Zach Galifianakis and Chris Pine. The plot of the movie is about the disappearance of the lead character Meg’s astrophysicist father, which leads her and her brother on a journey into space, to find him. The movie is set to release in March.