After announcing the winners a few days back, the 64th National Film Awards ceremony were held yesterday at Rashtrapati Bhavan and the winners were felicitated by the President of India, Shri Pranab Mukherjee. Information and Broadcasting Minister M. Venkaiah Naidu and MoS Col. Rajyavardhan Rathore were also present on the occasion to congratulate the Awardees. The evening saw some of the finest artists from the Indian Film Industry gathered together to celebrate the essence of Indian films.
Here are some highlights from the ceremony:
1. Akshay Kumar who was awarded with the Best Actor Award for his performance in Rustom was accompanied to the ceremony by wife, Twinkle Khanna and son, Aarav. This is Akshay Kumar’s first ever National Award and the actor was all smiles throughout the evening. He looked his best as he sported a black bandhgala with a pink pocket square. He posted an adorable picture with his family and captioned it “An important day in my life with the most important people in the world to me, my family #National Film Awards.”
2. Anil Kapoor was one proud father as he accompanied his daughter Sonam Kapoor to the National Award ceremony. Sonam won a special mention award for her role as the slain air hostess, late Neerja Bhanot, in the movie Neerja. Anil was seen capturing the proud moment in his camera as Sonam was felicitated by the President of India.
3. Zaira Wasim, aged only 16, received her first National Award for Best Supporting Role in Aamir Khan starrer, Dangal. She played wrestler Geeta Phogat in the film.
4. While actress Surabhi Lakshmi was honoured with the Best actress award for her performance in Malayalam film Minnaminungu, Mohan Lal received the Special Jury award for his films Pulimurgan, Janatha Garage and Munthirivallikal Thalirkkumbol.
5. Master Aadish Praveen was awarded with the Best Child Artist for his brilliant performance in the Malayalam film, Kunju Daivam.
6. Producer Rashmi Sharma and the director, Ram Madhavani, of Pink were given awards in the Best Film in the Social Issue category.
7. Veteran film maker K. Vishwanath was conferred with the Dada Saheb Phalke Award for his invaluable contribution to Tamil, Telugu and Hindi cinema. He received a standing ovation while receiving his award.
8. Adil Hussain received a special mention and honour for Mukti Bhawan (Hindi) and Maj Rati Keteki (Assamese).
9. Priyanka Chopra’s first film as a producer, the Marathi film, Ventilator also won three national Awards in different categories.
The National Awards were announced last month by a jury, headed by film maker Priyadarshan.