One of the first glamorous faces of the Hindi Film industry, actress Parveen Babi is and will always be most remembered for her roles in the blockbusters like Deewar, Namak Halaal, Shaan, Khuddar and Amar Akbar Anthony. Born in Junagarh in 1949, the actress would have turned 68 today, had she not breathed her last under mysterious circumstances in her apartment in 2005. She was the first Bollywood star to appear on the front page of Time Magazine and was at the top of her career in the 70s and 80s. But she disappeared from the film industry in 1983 without informing anyone about her whereabouts. Later it was reported that she was diagnosed as schizophrenic and went on a spiritual journey, travelling to different countries.
Parveen Babi’s life had always been a mystery. Despite always been a top actress of Bollywood, she never enjoyed stardom fully. She hogged the limelight more for her personal life than her films. On her birthday today, let’s look at five little-known facts about this ever-green beauty of Bollywood:
1. Parveen Babi was born in a Muslim family of Junagarh. She began working as a model in 1972 and got her first break in the film industry with Charitra in 1973 opposite cricketer Salim Durani. This film turned out to be a flop at the box office, but Parveen was noticed. She went on to become the most glamorous face of the industry during that time.
2. Parveen Babi, for a very long time, was known as the leading lady of Amitabh Bachchan. Her first major success was Majboor in which she was cast opposite Big B. They both did eight films together and all of the them were huge successes. Few of their hit films which are still remembered are Deewar, Amar Akbar Anthony, Shaan and Majboor.
3. Parveen Babi is the first Indian actress to have featured on the cover of Time magazine, and that too very early in her career. She appeared on the cover of the magazine in the July 1976 edition.
4. Parveen Babi was such a craze amongst the youth that she became one of the highest paid actresses of her time. The producers used to line up at her door to sign her for their new projects.
5. In 1991, she shifted her focus from the film industry and tried to establish herself as an interior designer. However, this passion of her’s didn’t last long as she was found dead in her apartment in 2005.