Mounting a period film based on historical characters is always a challenge. There have been some great Indian period films, and this month we are in for another upcoming movie – a magnum opus based on the life of an unsung hero Sye Raa Narasimha Reddy. It was he who raised the banner of revolt against the British East India Company in 1846, much before the first Indian war of independence was fought in 1857. The film cannot be strictly called a Tamil movie, as it is a Telugu language film that will be released as Kannada, Tamil, Malayalam, and Hindi dubbed versions simultaneously. Synopsis:
It is a historical biography based on the life of India’s first freedom fighter Uyyalawada Narasimha Reddy hailing from the Rayalaseema region of Andhra Pradesh. The story is set 30 years before the 1857 war of independence leading to the revolt against the British led by Reddy.
- Chiranjeevi – Uyyalawada Narasimha Reddy.
- Sudeep – Avuku Raju
- Vijay Sethupatghi – Raja Pandi
- Jagapathi Babu – Veera Reddy.
- Nayantara – Siddhamma
- Tamannaah – Laksmi
- Anushka Shetty – Maharani of Jhansi (Rani Laxmi Bai).
- Ravi Kishan, Brahmaji and Niharika Konidela – TBA
- Amitabh Bachchan – Guru Gosayi Venkanna in guest appearance.
- Director: Surender Reddy.
- Producer: Ram Charan
- Music score: Julius Packiam
- Cinematography: Raman Ratnavelu
- 2nd October 2019. Interesting Trivia:
- The budget of the film was Rs.270 crores.
- The cinematography of Ratnavelu has been hailed by most Bollywood experts and top technicians of the country, matching Gladiator in quality.
- The film was shot in actual terrain in Rayalaseema using live animals to inject authenticity to the canvas.
- The crucial war sequence cost whopping Rs.45 crores (US$ 6.5 million).
- The war sequence was choreographed by London based Greg Powell, Lee Whittaker, and Ram Laxman.
So, do not miss the feel of the vast canvas that is awe-inspiring in its span as well as grandeur, yet exuding raw sweat and blood in a realistic portrayal of the events.