The heartthrob of 80’s Jackie Shroff aka Jaggu Dada turns 60 today! In 1983, a lanky smart young guy made his debut in Bollywood with the cult movie, ‘Hero’ and became an overnight sensation. He is one of the finest actors who has worked in Bollywood for almost four decades. Having belonged to a middle-class family with no connection in film industry what so ever, still managed to became a superstar and acted in more than 200 films in his career. Jackie’s journey in the film industry has literally been a rags to riches story.
On the occasion of his birthday, let’s have an insight into his life and some lesser known facts about the actor.
1. Born as Jaikishan Kakubhai Shroff, Jackie’s father was a well known astrologer who had predicted Jackie’s stardom while he was a child.
2. Before entering into film industry, Jackie tried his luck at Taj as a chef apprentice. But he got rejected as he fell short of a degree they wanted. After this he tried his luck in Air India as a flight attendant, but got rejected as he again fell short of minimum qualification. Then one fine day while waiting at a bus stop, a man walked up to him and asked him “modelling karega kya” and since he was not earning that time, he quickly asked, “paisa dega kya” and from her started his journey of stardom.
3. Jackie’s wife Ayesha Shroff belongs to a royal family, but she was in so much love with Jackie that she decided to marry him and came to his chawl. In an interview, Jackie said that Ayesha was like a Goddess who had graced his life with her presence. Together they have two children, Tiger Shroff and Krishna Shroff.
4. There was a time when Jackie’s production house, Jackie Shroff Entertainment Limited sank, he had to sell his flats to pay off the loan! And to top it all, he couldn’t repay a loan he’d taken from producer Sajid Nadiadwala. Had it not been for Salman Khan who intervened, Sajid would have taken Jackie to court.
5. Very few people know that apart from Bollywood films, Jackie has also acted in several Bengali, Kannada, Malayalam, Marathi, Oriya, Punjabi, Tamil, Telugu films.
The actor has portrayed so many memorable roles on screen. The most notable ones are Ram of Ram Lakhan, Kishen of Parinda, Inspector Ram Kumar Sinha of Khalnayak, Wing commander Anand Bajwa of Border, Raj Singh Puri of Yaadein and Chunni Babu of Devdas. This year he will be seen in Sarkar 3 alongside Amitabh Bachchan, Manoj Bajpayee and Yami Gautam.