Here are 5 compelling reasons why you should check out the hottest Indian-American YouTube singing sensation, Vidya Vox.
1. The 25-year-old hit sensation has an impressive 300 million views on her videos and over 5 million subscribers on YouTube! Most of this could be credited to her blend of Indian and Western influences as she was born in Chennai and later moved to Washington D.C. Two decades later, she ditched her degree in psychology for a career in music and in less than two years made her name as a YouTube sensation. If this is not reason enough to watch out for then just have a look at her hits.
2. Look up any of her catchy tunes and you’ll understand why she is currently the ultimate queen of mash-ups. Her hits include “Lean On”,“Jind Mahi” and also “Shape of You”, “Cheez Badi Hai”, “Let Me Love You”, “All of Me”,“Tum Hi Ho”, “Main Hoon Hero Tera”and others.She has also recently launched her first original composition,“Diamonds”,which is the first from her upcoming EP,releasing by the end of the month. The song is every bit of catchy, dreamy and fast paced & will have you grooving to it in no time.
3. Vidya has had professional training in Carnatic music and has had several collaborations with artists like Raashi Kulkarni, Ricky Jatt, Saili Oak, Rojinder “Violinder” Momi, Vandana Iyer, Casey Breves, Shankar Tucker, Akshaya Tucker, Sam Tsui and others. Her repertoire is vast and varied and that alone is reason enough to tune in. The Chennai born mash-up queen, rapper and viral sensation is known for her high energy packed Tamil folk performances as well called ‘Kuthu” which makes for some great dance music.
Source – ScoopWhoop
4. The Indie rocker has also graced prestigious venues, which speaks volumes about her range in music. She has performed at The White House,the National Centre for the Performing Arts (NCPA), India, Webster Hall, Festivals Des Artes in Reunion Island, INK Women, Suriname, Dubai and also for the Meru Concert Series in Netherlands.
5. Vidya is known to incorporate at least one song that is reflective of the local culture of the place where she performs and gives it her own twist.She has sung in most major Indian languages and that adds to her performance. It would be interesting to catch a live rendition of the local culture with her stylings. She would be performing in a cross section of cities in the country, right from Mumbai, Pune to Delhi, Kolkata, Hyderabad, Jaipur and Ahmedabad from the 17th to the 26th of November.