Rahul Dravid is one name in the cricketing fraternity, fanatics can never forget. Former captain of the Indian cricket team, current coach of India U-19 and ‘A’ teams, and one of the most humble cricketers in the history, this man has turned 45 today and it’s just heartwarming for all of us. Referred as ‘The Wall’ and ‘The Unformidable One’ , Rahul dravid has played 164 tests and 344 ODI matches for India and has scored more than 24000 runs overall for the country. If one needs someone to personify understated elegance, Rahul Dravid is the only name which comes to the mind.
— BCCI (@BCCI) January 11, 2018
Alongside Tendulkar and Gavaskar, he has been a giant of Indian cricket team since the 90’s and is one of the greatest cricketer the country has ever produced. Inspite of such high character and records, he has somehow never got the adulation he so richly deserves. On the occassion of his 45th Birthday, we here are delighted to share some of the long forgotten and unknown facts about this cricketing legend. Lets take a look-
- One might know him as ‘The Wall’ or ‘Mr. Dependable’, but the ace cricketer also goes by the nickname ‘Jammy’.
- Dravid’s father used to work at the Kissan factory, hence earning him the name. He also went to on star in an ad for Kissan once.
- Dravid is the only Indian to score centuries in four consecutive test match innings.
- Though this solid performer gave us many wins, Dravid first played Hockey before taking cricket as his career.
- Dravid scored 50 runs off just 22 balls against New Zealandin 2003, making him the the second cricketer to score the fastest fifty in an ODI by an Indian, after Ajit Agarkar.
- “That is how Rahul Dravid is. You tell him he played well and he will tell you that somebody else played well too. I don’t know if he is a human being. How can a human being be so selfless.” – Harsha Bhogle.
Thousands of players come and go every year, but someone so big and so humble is impossible to find. Dravid has played invaluable innings for India in almost every match he stepped in. Sometimes he saved the game, and other times he made sure that we win it. You were our hero then, you are our hero now. And we wish you a very happy birthday, and good luck in his coming years.