Delhites, experience a whole spectrum of emotions this week! Add some drama to your life with some absolutely amazing plays happening in your city. From Comedy to Satire and Thrillers to Musicals, you will definitely find a play that interests you. Take a look at some of the must watch plays, scheduled to be staged in Delhi over this week, here.
1. Atul Satya Koushik’s ‘Kaali Shalwar’ Presented by Films & Theatre Society, this play is written by the famous storyteller, Saadat Hasan Manto and explores the life of a prostitute who breaks the ethics of her profession for a mere dress, a Kaali Shalwar, to wear on the occasion of Muharram. Full of wit and dark humour, this play is replete with folk music and poetry. It will be staged under the Summer Theatre Festival 2017 at Shri Ram Centre on Thursday, 29th evening.
2. The Comedy Kitchen Directed by Apratim Chatterjee and presented by a young theatre house from Delhi called The Cocophonee, the Comedy Kitchen is a collection of several comic stories in English and Hindi. The play has enjoyed quite a few house-full shows in Delhi’s Akshara Theatre earlier this year. Back by popular demand, this comedy play is scheduled to be staged at Akshara theatre this Friday evening.
3. Asmita theatre Presents ‘Ye Aaadmi Ye Choohe’ A contemporary drama set in Delhi, this play is about two migrant field workers, Jaggu and Lori. It’s a tale of their friendship, dreams, hopes, desires and the fate they share. Staging under the Summer Theatre Festival, this play is happening at Shri Ram Centre on Sunday evening.
4. Mahesh Dattani’s ‘Final Solutions’ Asmita Theatre Group’s Final Solutions addresses a very sensitive yet relevant contemporary issue, Communalism. The play tries to probe into the religious bigotry prevalent among the Hindus and Muslims, since the time of partition. The USP of this play is that it handles such an important social issue without getting sentimental or preachy. It is happening at Shri Ram Centre on 1st of July.
5. Bagiya Bancha Ram Ki Bagiya Bancha Ram Ki, directed by S.P. Singh Sengar, is the story of a humble farmer, Bancharam who has a fertile plot of land. An evil landlord takes over ageing Bancha’s land and wishes for his death. But Bancha Ram wants to live for his grandson. It’s a story of the tragedy of this humble man in this big bad world. The play will be staged at L.T.G. Auditorium on Sunday evening!