The year 2014 seems to be a year of sequels in Hollywood. And here is a list of 10 must-watch sequel and ‘non-sequel’ films of the year:
1. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
– Topping the chart is this science-fiction film directed by Matt Reeves, starring Andy Serkis, Gary Oldman, Jason Clarke, and Keri Russell. The film is also the sequel of Rise of the Planet of the Apes that released in 2011. Eight years after Caesar claimed his freedom, a new group of human survivors threaten the growing population of genetically-evolved apes. And these two groups engage in war to decide who will be the dominant species on Earth.
2. The Hobbit
: There and Back Again – Second in the list is definitely the final installment of The Hobbit trilogy, a special treat for the ‘Sherlock
’ fans. After the popular television series Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman were seen together in the films (Part 1 & 2), where Freeman plays the films’ title role of Bilbo Baggins.
: Days of Future Past – This much-awaited film of X-Men series will feature Hugh Jackman, James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Halle Berry, Jennifer Lawrence, Ellen Page, Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, Booboo Stewart, Fan Bingbing, Adan Canto, Evan Peter and others. Days of Future Past is a sequel to both X-Men: The Last Stand and X-Men: First Class, as well as a follow-up to The Wolverine.
4. The Expendables 3
– The third installment in The Expendables film series is yet another must-watch film of 2014. Directed by Patrick Hughes, the film features Sylvester Stallone, Jason Statham, Jet Li, Dolph Lundgren, Randy Couture, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Antonio Banderas, Mel Gibson, and Harrison Ford. The story follows "The Expendables" who come into conflict with ruthless arms dealer Conrad Stonebanks (Gibson), the Expendables’ co-founder, who is determined to destroy the team. Ross (Stallone) resorts to recruiting a new and younger generation of Expendables to help the team overcome his old adversary.
– This biblical epic film directed by Darren Aronofsky, is based on the story of Noah’s Ark. The film stars Russell Crowe, Anthony Hopkins, Emma Watson, Jennifer Connelly, Douglas Booth, Logan Lerman, and Ray Winstone. In the film, Noah sees visions of an apocalyptic deluge and takes measures to protect his family from the coming catastrophic flood.
6. Fast & Furious 7
– Here comes another sequel in the list! Written by Chris Morgan and directed by James Wan, this film stars Vin Diesel, Paul Walker, Dwayne Johnson, Michelle Rodriguez, Jordana Brewster, Jason Statham and Lucas Black. This film will show Statham seeking revenge on Diesel for his brother’s death.
7. Transformers 4: Age of Extinction
– This fourth film of the Transformers series, features Mark Wahlberg, Nicola Anne Peltz, Jack Reynor in the cast. The sequel of the Transformers: Dark of the Moon, this film takes place four years after the invasion of Chicago. The storyline follows a mechanic and his daughter, who make a discovery which brings down the Autobots, the Decepticons, and a paranoid government official on them.
8. Guardians of the Galaxy
– Guardians Of The Galaxy may not turn out to be one of the best movies but it’s definitely a must-watch as it is another film adaptation of the Marvel Comics. The film features an ensemble cast including Vin Diesel, Bradley Cooper, Lee Pace, Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, and Dave Bautista.
– Next in the list is Christopher Nolan’s upcoming film, Interstellar. The film features Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway, Jessica Chastain, Bill Irwin, Ellen Burstyn, and Michael Caine. The storyline follows that a wormhole is newly-discovered, a team of explorers and scientists embark on a voyage through it to transcend previous limitations on human space travel.
10. Hercules: The Thracian Wars
– And last but not the least in the chart is Brett Ratner’s action-adventure, period film, starring Dwayne Johnson, Ian McShane, Reece Ritchie, Ingrid Bolso Berdal, Joseph Fiennes, and John Hurt. This film will feature Dwayne Johnson in multiple roles.
By Shreejata Niyogi