They’re loud, overtly dramatic and hardly ever make sense, yet Indian TV serials have had a strong set of audience for over two decades. With their love for melodrama and everything that glitters, they are so annoying that you wonder how anyone tolerates them in the first place. Yet you know who Mihir Virani is, you know every detail about Anurag and Prerana’s tragic love story and you also know each and every name and face of Parvati and Om’s big fat family. Blame it on your mom or the pados wali aunty, these characters and these shows have been an integral part of your life growing up. Apart from their penchant for drama, these shows have also taught us valuable life lessons, the kind no school or book can ever teach you. Here are a list of 10 things that every Indian TV show has taught us over the years:
1) Always make a grand entrance
Nothing better than having you own theme song, eh?
2) Crying should be second nature to you
Always be ready to turn on the waterworks at a moments notice.
3) To make a point, please repeat yourself four times.
Bad VFX will give you bonus points.
4) Make sure you wear your flashiest outfit, even when going to bed
Because #Sweg #YOLO
5) Let the background music do the talking
The more unbearable the better.
6) Never be subtle about anything
Have a problem? Slap it out!
7) If you’re having a baby, someone will either steal it or it’ll get exchanged
I can’t even…
8) Temple is more of a park than a holy place
Tinder? You mean temple!
9) If the diya at your house extinguishes, someone is either dead/hospitalized
Because screw logic, eh?
10) You will never marry the person you love
A little harsh, but that’s the truth.
By Ekta Shetty