This year’s Independence Day celebrations are special for Bollywood lovers. It’s raining righteous cops in Bollywood. They are fighting against corruption and criminals, making the country a better place to live in. And when B-town men (and women) don the khakhi wardi, they have a special charm that is hard to miss. And also they turn into a special formula for a good Action-Drama caper. But Bollywood has seen its share of kinky, bad-ass cops too.
The nation celebrates August 15 with D.C.P. Bajirao Singham (Ajay Devgn) in Singham Returns. Soon after, Sr. Inspector Shivani Shivaji Roy (Rani Mukerji) will be seen in action in Mardaani. We recently had a tough time with a corrupt cop, Inspector R.S. Chautala (Jimmy Sheirgill) in Fugly. And enjoyed the oozing charisma of Himanshu Tyagi (Randeep Hooda) in Kick. Good or bad, righteous or corrupt, the B-town cops are like an aphrodisiac to any Action-Drama flick.
Throughout Bollywood’s journey, several actors have added a different shade to their cop character. From swabhimani Dilip Kumar in Shakti to dabanggdaar Salman Khan in the Dabangg movies. There have been many actors who have left an indelible memory donning the khaki wardi.
Here’s our pick of Bollywood’s best cops ever seen on the silver screen:
1. Rani Mukherji, Mardaani – ‘Apne papa ko mera naam theek se bol, Shivani Shivaji Roy. Ukhaad, ukhaad jo ukhadneka hai. chal re.‘
2. Ajay Devgn, Singham movies – ‘Jisme hai dum … to fakht Bajirao Singham.‘
3. Jimmy Sheirgill, Fugly – ‘Jaa ke bol diyo apne kisi bhi baap se, ki Chautala naam ke thule se panga liya hai.‘
4. Abhishek Bachchan, Dhoom series – ‘Chor ki kismat hamesha police ke haathon mein hoti hai.‘
5. Aamir Khan, Talaash – ‘Pata nahi kya doondh raha hu? Par suraag mujhe aur andherey ki taraf le jata hai.‘
6. Salmaan Khan, Dabangg movies – ‘Hum yahan ke Robinhood hai … Robinhood Pandey.‘
7. Sonu Sood, Maximum – ‘Ya toh top pe raho … nahi toh chup raho.‘
8. Sanjay Dutt, Shootout At Lokhandwala – ‘Aadmi khatam … toh files khatam.‘
9. Akshay Kumar, Khakee – ‘Iss kutte ko bahar phenk dete hai.‘
10. Nana Patekar, Ab Tak Chappan – ‘Tum log society ka kachra hai … main society ka jamadar.‘
11. Aamir Khan, Sarfarosh – ‘Main apne mulk ko apna ghar samajhta hoon.‘
12. Manoj Bajpai, Shool – ‘Aap mein se kisi ko bhi lagta hai ki humne kuch galat kiya hai. Aap mein se kisi ko bhi yeh lagta hai ki usne huse zyada kanoon ka palan kiya hai, toh beshak hum ko goli maar sakta hai. Kyunki ab hum nahi palatne wale.‘
13. Akshay Kumar, Mohra – ‘Aurat ke pallu ke piche chupne wale mard nahi hote.‘
14. Rekha, Phool Bane Angaray – ‘Hass le, hass le Bishamber. Yeh teri zindagi ki aakhri hassi hogi.‘
15. Om Puri, Ardh Satya – ‘Aurat ko chedthe ho kutto?‘
16. Dilip Kumar, Shakti – ‘Joh log sachchai ki tarafdari ki kasam khate hain … zindagi unke bade kathin imtihaan leti hai.‘
17. Shashi Kapoor, Deewar – ‘Jab tak ek bhai bol raha hai, ek bhai sun raha hai … jab ek mujrim bolega, ek police officer sunega.‘
18. Amitabh Bachchan, Zanjeer – ‘Kal subah tak tumhare sab juakhane aur kaale dhandhe band ho jaane chahiye.‘