It is Roger’s birthday today and he is 72 years old, still full of vitality and life, touring and rocking around the world. Most men would be defeated with such an undertaking, but not old Roger! Roger Waters (born 6 September 1943) is an English musician best known as the bassist and main songwriter for the legendary psychedelic-rock band Pink Floyd which he co-founded with Nick Mason, Richard Wright and the mighty Syd Barret. He was a major force in the creation of the concept albums The Dark Side of the Moon (1973), The Wall (1979), and The Final Cut (1983). Pink Floyd may be truly over but their music still has a massive cult following and will never be forgotten. As Roger Waters celebrates his birthday, we give you trivia about the rockstar you may be unaware of. Read on…
1. Roger Waters joined Pink Floyd as a guitarist. But, with Syd Barrett and Bob Klose on board, Waters moved from lead to rhythm guitar and then to bass. "There was always this frightful fear that I could land up as the drummer," he once said.
2. Everyone thinks problems between Roger Waters and David Gilmour surfaced around ‘The Wall.’ In truth, friction already existed during the run-up to 1969’s ‘Ummagumma.’ Each member had been tasked with constructing a solo contribution. When Gilmour asked Waters for some lyrical help, his response was a simple "no."
3. In the 1975 song ‘Welcome to the Machine,’ Roger Waters sings, "You bought a guitar to punish your ma." In reality, Waters’ mother bought his first guitar, giving it to him all the way back in 1957.
4. Roger Waters came up with the concept for The Wall album in a moment of disgust when, on tour in Canada, a fan made his way onto the stage and spat on him.
5. He was the chairman of the Cambridge Youth Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament at age fifteen.
6. With a net worth of $230 million, Rogers is amongst the top 10 richest bass players in the world.
7. Waters is an atheist.
8. Roger Waters has a daughter named India. Yes, you read it right, this was way before Jonty Rhodes did. So yes, calm down!
9. Waters said in an interview that even if he is presented with 1 million pounds he would never perform "Atom Heart Mother". He said he cannot take the humiliation, as he hated the song.
10. Roger was a keen sportsman and a highly regarded member of his high school’s cricket and rugby teams.