Brace yourself, justice is coming! Wonder Woman is all set to hit theaters on 2nd June and DC fans are simply holding their breaths. After the backlash that Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice received followed by critical failure of Suicide Squad; it was imperative for Warner Bros. to get their act together and deliver a solid film. Now, going by the early reactions, it seems that we may have a blockbuster on the charts.
But what’s the big hullabaloo about it? Who is she anyway? Isn’t she the same person to feature in BvS? If questions like these are lingering in your subconscious then it’s time you take a quick history lesson in the world of Amazonians.
Consider this a starter pack to the Wonder Woman comics and know why she is a prominent figure in the Justice League.
- Wonder Woman, also known as Diana Prince, played by Gal Gadot is a daughter of Hippolyta. She lives on the remote island of Themyscira, where Amazon women live and govern themselves. There are no men on this island. It’s nothing short of a paradise
- Steve Trevor, played by Chris Pine, is a U.S. Army Air Pilot whose plane crashes on Themyscira. He is also the love interest of Diana albeit in the earlier comics he was more of a big brother to her. *Ahem*
- Queen Hippolyta (Connie Nielsen) is Diana's mother and queen of Themyscira. She wants to keep Diana safe from the outside cruel world.
- General Antiope is Diana’s aunt and also her trainer. The character is played by Robin Wright.
- Dr. Maru/Dr. Poison (Elena Anaya) is a villainous scientist who's developing a toxin that could kill/ruin a lot of people.
American Army pilot Steve Trevor is on a mission to end WWI but unfortunately or fortunately his plane crashes on the secluded island of Themyscira. After witnessing the power of the Amazonians he urges Diana to join him to prevent the war and in return save countless lives. Diana who was raised with the principles of saving human lives. On the other hand, Ares, the God of War is trying this best to stop her.
She is a JL member
Well, this would contain *spoilers for BvS* so tread carefully. Wonder Woman is one of the most prominent members of the Justice League. Along with Batman and Superman, she forms DC’s Trinity. She first featured in the movie, Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice when she meets Bruce Wayne at Lex Luthor’s party. Later towards the end, she helps underpowered Batman and virtuous Superman in defeating Doomsday. And with the loss of Superman, she helps Batman in uniting the ‘others’ (superheroes).
So what to expect?
It’s an origin story. As per the latest reactions from critics and fans alike, seems like it’s a blend of Captain America and Christopher Reeve’s Superman. Also, as previously mentioned the film is set in pre-WWI period so one might confuse why she didn't age in BvS? Well, she is a superhero duh!