You may know Ewan McGregor from movies like Trainspotting, Star Wars, Moulin Rouge and Angels and Demons. But the Scottish actor has over 70 credits to his name, since his television debut in Lipstick on Your Collar in 1993. Born in Perth, Scotland, McGregor is the nephew of actor Denis Lawson, who played Wedge Antilles in the original Star Wars trilogy. He was inspired by his uncle to get into acting, rather than his own acting ability. All said and done, the inspiration gave us the romantic Christian and Jedi Obi-Wan Kenobi. On his birthday, we bring you 10 fun facts about Ewan McGregor that you probably did not know.
1. You are probably saying his name wrong. His first name is pronounced ‘you-in’. Now you know!
2. He has four daughters with his wife Eve Mavrakis, one of who was adopted from Mongolia. McGregor is extremely close to his family, and even brings them along on movie shoots. The dedicated husband and father has a tattoo on his arm with the names of his wife and daughters. He’s certainly a real-life Christian too!
3. Actors Ewan McGregor and Jude Law were once roommates. Who would not want to bunk with them!
4. McGregor is a motorcycle enthusiast and has been on a motorcycle trip around the world. In 2004, he and best friend Charley Boorman traveled from London to New York with the cameraman and producers via central Europe, Kazakhstan, Mongolia, Siberia, Canada and the United States. The trip has been documented in a TV series, book and DVD, called Long Way Round.
5. Man loves his motorcycle! In 2007, McGregor and Boorman took another trip from Scotland to Cape Town. Like the previous one, this journey was also made into a TV series, book and DVD titled Long Way Down. At the early stages, McGregor’s brother Colin joined the team and their father Jim also rode with them on sections.
6. Ewan McGregor has acted in several films, television shows and even on stage. In 2009, he was ranked 2nd in Forbes’ annual list of Hollywood’s Most Overpaid Stars.
7. And yet, the actor stays humble. He is an ambassador for UNICEF and has traveled to India, Nepal and countries of Africa to deliver vaccines to children. This has been documented in a BBC documentary titled Ewan McGregor: Cold Chain Mission.
8. McGregor was once an alcoholic (probably why he starred in Rogue Trader and Eye of the Beholder). But he gave up drinking in 2000 and has been sober since.
9. In 2013, Ewan McGregor was appointed Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) for services to drama and charity. Check out his super cool OBE medal:
10. McGregor will play the character of Lumiere in the live-action version of Disney’s Beauty and the Beast, set to release in March 2017. He certainly lights up our world!