Marakkar: Arabikadalinte Simham inarguably is the most anticipated Malayalam movie of the year. This Priyadarshan epic drama stars the complete actor Mohanlal in the titular role with a star-studded cast that includes Suniel Shetty, Arjun Sarja, Prabhu Ganeshan, Keerthi Suresh and Kalyani Priyadarshan. Although the film was scheduled to release in 5000 theatres worldwide on the 26th of March 2020, the unfortunate COVID-19 pandemic and the subsequent lockdown postponed the release. However, once the chaos is settled and the cinema halls are functional, we really hope to watch this film without further delay. Meanwhile, here is a little trivia about this magnum opus.
A Magnificent Cast
- Veteran actor Madhu was initially part of the cast, essaying a significant role, but he opted out as part of his decision to retire from acting. The role later went to Fazil.
- Mohanlal has joined hands with Prabhu after Kaalapani and this film also brings the former together with Suhasini Maniratnam after the critically acclaimed Vanaprastham.
- Suniel Shetty, who did a guest appearance in the Malayalam film Kaakkakuyil, has gotten a meaty role in Marakkar: Arabikadalinte Simham. He apparently grew hair and a beard to perfect the look.
- Pranav Mohanlal is paired up with his childhood friend Kalyani Priyadarshan for the first time on screen and the couple looks lovely together. Pranav plays young Kunjali Marakkar IV, while Kalyani essays his love interest.
- Keerthi Suresh makes a comeback in Malayalam with this film and she apparently learnt the veena to prepare for her character.
- Bigg Boss fame Shiyas Kareen will be seen in this film, as one of the sidekicks of Marakkar IV.
The Lucky Duo
Priyadarshan and Mohanlal have many hits among themselves and together. Marakkar: Arabikadalinte Simham is their 30th outing and we really hope it breaks a number of records.
With a budget of ₹100 crore, this is the most expensive film ever made in Malayalam cinema and it is already estimated to make around 200 to 500 crores post its release.
A Multi-lingual Fanfare
Although the film will primarily be released in Malayalam, it will also have dubbed versions in Telugu, Tamil, Kannada, and Hindi languages. In fact, the makers are also planning to release it in Arabic and Mandarin!
A Legendary Collaboration
Priyadarshan originally planned the film with screenwriter T. Damodaran back in 1996, but the project did not take off due to budget constraints. In 2018, he co-wrote the screenplay with Ani Sasi, incorporating many inputs from late T. Damodaran, while Antony Perumbavoor, Santhosh T. Kuruvilla and Roy C. J. agreed to bankroll.
Based on a Real Story
‘Kunjali Marakkar’ is a title given to the Naval commanders of the Zamorin of Calicut. This film is based on the life of Kunjali Marakkar IV as the director believed he had the most interesting life.
High Production Values
The film narrates events that happened 500 years ago in Kerala and there is no documentation on the outfits, weapons, or jewelry used during the period. Hence, most of the items are imagined and designed by the production team. While Priyadarshan’s frequent collaborator Sabu Cyril is the production designer, Indrakshi Pattanaik has designed the costumes.
Shot at the Film Capital
A major part of the film has been shot at Ramoji Film City in Hyderabad while a few scenes have been done at Kovalam in Thiruvananthapuram.
A Visual Treat
The film went through a 14-month period of post-production work with enormous visual effects handled by the Pune-based animation studio Anibrain. Priyadarshan’s son Sidharth was the visual effects supervisor.
While we are still unsure as to when Marakkar: Arabikadalinte Simham will release in theatres, you can click on the ‘Interested’ button below to stay updated with the latest on the film.