Bubbly, lively and beautiful – Karisma Kapoor has been an eternal favorite in Bollywood ever since she first entered the glamour industry. With her thick eyebrows and notorious attributes, Lolo was the queen of hits in the ’90s. Over the years, the charming diva proved to be a versatile actress, delivering top-notch performances in most of her films. Starting her career at an early age, Karisma went on to become one of the most successful actresses in the industry. Today, she is a recognized style icon! As the Kapoor lady celebrates her 41st birthday, we take a look at some facts we probably didn’t know about her.
1. Did you know? Karisma Kapoor dropped out of school in sixth grade to pursue acting. Her debut film, Prem Qaidi released when she was just seventeen years old!
2. Karisma Kapoor was not the first choice for the role of Nisha in the superhit film, Dil To Pagal Hai. The role was first offered to Raveena Tandon. After she turned it down, a number of actresses were offered the same. From Juhi Chawla to Kajol and Shilpa Shetty to Manisha Koirala, it finally landed in Karisma’s hands. Not only did the actress do a convincing job as Nisha, but also won a National Award for the Best Supporting Actress!
3. Lolo wasn’t the first choice for Raja Hindustani either. The film was technically supposed to be Aishwarya Rai’s debut in Bollywood. But Ash’s Miss World commitments kept her away from the industry, and the role was given to Karisma, instead. Raja Hindustani turned out to be one of Karisma’s biggest blockbusters of all times. The actress received her first Filmfare award for Best Actress.
4. Like other leading ladies, Karisma too, turned down some big films that went to become highly successful. Juhi Chawla’s role in Ishq was first offered to Karisma. Manisha Koirala’s role in Gupt, Aishwarya Rai’s role in Bride and Prejudice and Kareena Kapoor’s role in both Asoka and Talaash were initially written keeping Karisma in mind.
5. In 1998, Karisma became the first-ever Bollywood celebrity to have endorsed international brand Coca Cola in India.
6. In 2002, Karisma’s name was featured in the annual Indian rich list of the Business Review Weekly with an estimated net worth of 8.1 million dollars.
7. In a career that spanned over 20 years, Karisma was linked with quite a few co-stars of her time. She was said to be romantically involved with Akshay Kumar and Ajay Devgn, but there was no official announcement. She was also in a relationship with Abhishek Bachchan, and the two were even engaged. However, the duo called it quits due to personal reasons and Karisma went on to marry business tycoon, Sanjay Kapoor, while Abhishek married Ash.
Here’s wishing you a fabulous birthday, Karisma Kapoor!