Happy birthday, Ted Mosby! We mean, happy birthday to Josh Radnor, who turns 42 today, on July 29. Can't blame us, he is best known for portraying the much-admired lead character of the sitcom How I Met Your Mother. His character's name is Theodore Evelyn Mosby (born April 25, 1978) and he is someone that everyone can identify with; everybody has experienced very similar moments to the ones he has gone through in his life.
To many people, Josh might be known just for that role, but he is more than that – he made his writing and directorial debut with the 2010 comedy drama film Happythankyoumoreplease, for which he won the Sundance Film Festival Audience Award and was nominated for the Grand Jury Prize. Two years later, he wrote, directed and starred in his second film, Liberal Arts, which premiered at the Sundance Film Festival that year. Two years after that he also starred in the Broadway play titled Disgraced, which earned a Tony Award for Best Play nomination. But for us, he will always be the very dear Ted Mosby. Throughout the show, we have always empathized with him and he has taught us some really important life lessons. Here are 12 of his best quotes from the series:
1. "You can't cling to the past. Because no matter how tightly you hold on, it's already gone."
2. "If you're not scared then you're not taking a chance. And if you're not taking a chance, then what the hell are you doing anyway?"
3. "Because sometimes, even if you know how something's going to end, that doesn't mean you can't enjoy the ride."
4. "Here's the thing about mistakes. Sometimes, even when you know something is a mistake, you gotta make it anyway."
5. "You may think your only choices are to swallow your anger or throw it in someone's face, but there's a third option: You can just let it go, and only when you do that is it really gone and you can move forward."
6. "But love doesn't make sense! You can't logic your way into or out of it. Love is totally nonsensical. But we have to keep doing it or else we're lost and love is dead, and humanity should just pack it in. Because love is the best thing we do."
7. "The great moments of your life won't necessarily be the things you do, they'll also be the things that happen to you. Now, I'm not saying you can't take action to affect the outcome of your life, you have to take action, and you will. But never forget that on any day, you can step out the front door and your whole life can change forever. You see, the universe has a plan, kids, and that plan is always in motion. A butterfly flaps its wings, and it starts to rain. It's a scary thought, but it's also kind of wonderful. All these little parts of the machine constantly working, making sure that you end up exactly where you're supposed to be, exactly when you're supposed to be there. The right place at the right time."
8. "That's the funny thing about destiny – it happens whether you plan it or not. It turns out I was just too close to the puzzle to see the picture that was forming."
9. "You can ask the universe for a sign all you want, but ultimately, we only see what we want to see when we’re ready for it."
10. "If you're really honest with yourself about what you want out of life, life gives it to you."
11. "When you love someone you just, you…you don't stop. Ever. Even when people roll their eyes or call you crazy. Even then. Especially then."
12. "It doesn't have to make sense to make sense."