Who doesn’t know Karan Johar, the renowned, most popular, filmmaker of Bollywood industry? He has directed the famous movies and has taken quite a few actors under his wings. There is so much written about his movies that we don’t see the person behind it.
Here are some unknown facts about the director –
1. For his role in “Bombay Velvet“, he charged only 11 Rupee as his fee.
2. His father Yash Johar wanted him to be an actor and was also ready to launch him.
3. He is the first Indian filmmaker to be a Jury Member in the Miss World Competition, held in Poland on September 30, 2006.
4. Johar was one among the world’s best “250 Global Young Leaders,” chosen by the Geneva-based World Economic Forum, in the year 2007.
5. Most of his movies, began with ‘K’ as he believed in numerology. But he stopped the practice after he saw ‘Lage Raho Munnabhai‘ which talked about it.
6. It was with “Kuch Kuch Hota Hai” that Karan Johar adopted the use of love triangles in the movie.
7. His second blockbuster, “Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham…” was the first Indian movies to have a ‘making-of’ book written.
8. Kurbaan was supposed to be initially directed by Karan Johar. However, he dropped the project because he was working on “Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham.”
9. The idea for “Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna,” came when he saw the movie “Before Sunset,” during his trip to London.
He also happened to overhear a married couple parting ways at a restaurant on the same day. The movie and the incident moved him and he decided to explore the idea.
10. It is his life’s ambition is to walk Oscar’s red carpet and win an Academy Award.
He, in fact, has rehearsed the speech so many times that he can never forget it. He wants to say, “This is for you, India” while holding an Oscar.
11. The script of his movie “Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna,” was invited to be included in the library of Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
12. His world famous movie “Kuch Kuch Hota Hai,” was actually a mix of two different story ideas. Not knowing which movie to make, he mixed both his ideas and came up with this movie.
13. Johar was invited as a cultural leader in the World Economic Forum in 2017.
15. Karan holds a Masters degree in French.
16. He wrote the entire film script of “Ae Dil Hai Mushkil,” in just 30 days.
17. He is also the only Indian apart from former Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to have been invited for the opening ceremony of the London Olympics.
18. Karan is not fond of reading.
19. Shah Rukh Khan isn’t his most favorite actor to work with. It is Hrithik in fact!
By his own admission, “Hrithik is obsessed with his work. We all are, but while all of us give 100% he gives 300%.”
20. Karan is, ‘exceptionally un-email savvy’
“To reply to my emails is like a torture. It’s like literally, half of all my emails, I get my secretary to type out for me. And the personal ones, I avoid and just pick up the phone and call them.”
What do you think? Comment below!