Danny Denzongpa is probably the only actor who changed the way we perceived negative characters in Bollywood. The man has been amazing at the whole negative characters scene and we hope to see him on screen again. There was not one villain as classy as he is in Bollywood. In his 4 decades-long career he has done 150 films.
Here are some lesser-known facts about Bollywood’s most charming villain of all times.
1. His real name is Tshering Phintso Denzongpa and he is a Sikkimese Bhutanese by birth. According to the grapevine, the name Danny was given to him by his FTTI batchmate Jaya Bachchan.
2. The incredibly talented man has been in the armed forces and wanted to serve the country. The West Bengal government had awarded him the Best Cadet Award as a student.
4. This is what he had to say about playing negative characters:
The character I am playing will always be correct from my point of view. He is the hero of the film.
5. In 1980, he directed a suspense horror movie called ‘Phir Wohi Raat’. The movie earned 2.8 crores and it starred Rajesh Khanna.
6. Danny starred in a Hollywood movie alongside Brad Pitt. ‘Seven Years In Tibet’ where he played a monk.
7. He was the first choice to play Gabbar Singh in ‘Sholay’. But he couldn’t give it a nod as he was busy with Feroz Khan’s ‘Dharmatma’.
How we’d wish to have him back on the screen.