The world woke up to the news of the heartbreaking news of Srideviji’s passing away. From Chandini to Chalbaaz, from Sadma to Mr.India, we’re not sure how Bollywood would be without Srideviji. Bollywood lost its most beautiful star today.
There was, is and never will be another Hawa Hawai or Chandini. Here are a few lesser-known chapters of the beautiful diva’s celebrated life. We remember the life that changed the way we looked at women in Bollywood. The grace, the laughter, the way she used to dance, the innocence; there is no one like her.
1. In the year 1963, she was born to Ayyapan Yanger and Rajeswari Yanger. Her name was Shree Amma Yanger Ayyapan.
2. A four-year-old Sridevi made her on-screen debut in the Thirumugham’s devotional film, Thunaivan. 10 years later, she made it to Bollywood as a lead in Solva Sawan.
3. Since her mother tongue was Tamil, other actresses dubbed for her earlier movies. Rekha dubbed for her in Aakhiri Raasta. Chandni was the first movie Srideviji dubbed for.
4. She did playback singing for Sadma, Chandni, Garajna and Kshana Kshanam.
5. While shooting for the famous song ‘Na Jaane Kahan Se Aayegi’, the diva was down with a 103-degree fever.
6. Sridevi was considered to play a brief role in Steven Spielberg’s Jurassic Park. She had to decline the offer as she was busy with Bollywood projects.
7. She was the second choice for her most iconic roles, Naagin was first offered to Jaya Prada and Rekhaji was in mind for Chandini.
8. The correct spelling of her name is ‘Sreedevi’ but she never corrected the spelling in the name credits.
An extraordinary woman who gave Bollywood so much to remember, we love you and we will miss you, Srideviji. Thank you for making Bollywood beautiful. Heaven has one of our brightest stars.