Dhanush may indeed be a demi-God in the making for Southern India. But nothing can overpower Rajnikanth’s aura. What’s your say?
Superstar Rajnikanth, often referred to as God in the Southern part of India, shall soon face competition in the form of his son-in-law, Dhanush, an actor by profession and now also the singer of the highly popular song, “Why This Kolaveri Di?” The song hit over a 50 million views beginning this week, i.e. in just 4 months of it’s release on the Internet.
Dhanush, married to Rajnikanth’s eldest daughter, Aishwaryaa started his film career in 2002 with ‘Thulluvadho Ilamai’ but gained maximum success through ‘Kadhal Kondein’ (2003) for portraying the role of a mentally disturbed youth. This film was directed by Dhanush’s brother, Selvaraghavan. He won the National Film Award for Best Actor for his performance in Aadukalam.
The instant success of the song, ‘Why This Kolaveri Di’ has got Dhanush an immense fan following all over the country. At an awards function recently, Dhanush sang a tweaked version of his song as a tribute for Mr. Amitabh Bachchan.
Tamil film , ‘3’ is due to release on March 30, and is the most awaited film of this year. Reports, however, say that the Kolaveri song has been picturised differently in the film. The film is a love story between the characters portrayed by Dhanush and Shruthi Hassan. Guess what? The rumour mills are already rife with the chemistry brewing between the lead starcast of the film. Lookout for the trivia on the film!
1. Resul Pookutty, the Oscar-winning sound engineer who won the international honour for his work in ‘Slumdog Millionaire’ has also contributed largely on the film.
2. Aishwaryaa Dhanush, the director, worked as an assistant director for regional films ‘Baba’ and ‘Aayirathil Oruvan’. She is also a trained classical dancer.
Apart from Tamil, ‘3’ will also be released in Telugu and Hindi. The Hindi rights of the movie have been sold for a record prize.
‘3’ Trailer ‘Why This Kolaveri Di’? Video
3. ‘3’ was initially a short film and not a feature film.
The popularity of the Kolaveri song led to the creation of a number of imitations and parodies in various languages around the world depicting different types of situations. Even Pakistan had its own version of ‘Kolaveri Di’. The film has won the YouTube Gold award, which is given to the viral videos from across the world.
4. The song which set new records in the music world didn’t benefit Dhanush monetarily. Dhanush hadn’t expected the song to be such a huge hit and had sold the rights to Sony Music for a very small price. So, in the future, if Dhanush were to release any version of the song, he would have to seek prior permission from Sony and share the song with them.
5. Dhanush says that he doesnot feel too confident with spoken English. Hence, that was helpful in choosing the words for the song to connect better with the people who themselves were not fluent in English.
6. Dhanush has not only sung the Kolaveri song but has also written the lyrics for it which as he says, took him only six minutes!
7. An article on the Kolaveri song has also been featured in the Time magazine.
8. Music director of ‘3’, 21-year-old Anirudh Ravichander, is an alumnus of AR Rahman’s school of music.
9. After 3, Dhanush will star with Sonam Kapoor in hindi film, ‘Raanjhanaa’ where the cast will play a boy and a girl hailing from Varanasi.