Bollywood and romance go hand-in-hand. But this week’s release, Khoobsurat, the modern-day fairy-tale romance is the most-anticipated romantic comedy of the year. Disney’s first release in India, it has created quite some buzz among the movie-lovers and media, alike. However, it is Khoobsurat‘s leading man, Fawad Khan, who has been the talk of the town. And why not?
Recently, actors from across the border were seen making their debut in Bollywood. And leading the pack is Pakistani hunk, Fawad Afzal Khan. He charmed the urban audiences especially women with his performance in Zindagi Gulzar Hai. This handsome man played a romantic lead in the TV series that aired on Pakistani channel, Zindagi, and rose to popularity with the film, Khuda Kay Liye. The superstar is all set to make his grand debut in the Hindi film industry opposite Sonam Kapoor in Disney’s Khoobsurat. He is popular among fans from both sides of the border. Fawad has however, faced criticism from Pakistan ‘for hurting the sentiments of the nation by working in Hindi films’. Our charming heartthrob from the neighboring land dismissed the flak gracefully and moved on. He said, "I do feel bad, but I choose to ignore the criticism. I believe art knows no culture and creed".
No wonder he was an instant hit among his female audience. Guess it’s not just his good looks that did the magic.
Though his first Bollywood movie is highly-anticipated, Fawad Khan isn’t the only actor from Pakistan to try his luck in Bollywood. Many actors and actresses from across the border have already made their Bollywood debut. Some were received well by the Indian audience, while many faced criticism from their own homeland. Take a look at our B-Town celebrities who come from sarhad paar.
1. Humaima Malick – Popular Pakistani model-actress, Humaima proved her acting skills with Raja Natawarlal. Romancing Emraan Haashmi, she came into limelight with her hard-hitting drama, Bol. Needless to say, Humaima too like several other stars faced opposition from her fans in Pakistan. But she isn’t ready to give up. Humaima said, "I’m confident about getting accepted by the Indian audience. But I’m scared of my own country".
Worry not, Humaima. Bollywood has always loved and cherished good actors, irrespective of their background.
2. Imran Abbas Naqvi – Yet another model-turned-actor, he made his Bollywood debut in last week’s Creature 3D. This pretty-faced boy from Pakistan was seen with co-star Bipasha Basu in Vikram Bhatt’s Creature 3D. With the release of his debut Bollywood venture, Imran hopes to silence people in Pakistan. And the reason? They find him good-looking but lack confidence in his acting skills.
Imran, you’ve got a long way to go. Keep calm and carry on.
3. Ali Zafar – By far, the most successful Bollywood actor-singer from Pakistan, Zafar made his debut in 2010 with Tere Bin Laden. Since then, he marked a screen presence in five movies including Luv Ka The End; Mere Brother Ki Dulhan; London, Paris, New York; Chashme Baddoor and Total Siyapaa. The multi-talented artist also lends his voice to some of his songs. He’ll be soon seen sharing the silver screen with Parineeti Chopra, Ranveer Singh and Govinda in Kill Dil.
He too faced flak from Pakistan and said, "Politics and art should not be mixed. Indian audience love me more than I expected".
Ali Zafar, we definitely love you!
4. Veena Malik – From saucy photo-shoots to B-grade films to controversies, Veena Malik has been in the limelight for all the wrong reasons. The Pakistani actress-model-TV host tied the knot last year with Dubai-based businessman. Veena isn’t affected by the negative public attention. She hopes to do meaningful roles and characters in Bollywood.
Yes, Veena, Bollywood-fans would love to see you in a brand-new avatar!
5. Sara Loren – Born Mona Lizza, Pakistani actress-cum-model, Sara made her Bollywood debut in 2010 with Pooja Bhatt‘s Kajraare, a romantic-thriller. She was next seen playing the role of seductress, Nisha in Murder 3. Portraying a bold avatar, her performance wasn’t received well by her fans in Pakistan. To this Sara said (about her character), "She likes to explore (a) bold avatar."
She’ll soon be seen in a women-oriented film titled, Barkha. Also, she will be dancing to an item number in Welcome Back. Sara will also be seen sharing screen space with Adyayan Suman in Ishq Click.
Sara Loren, we wish you soon make a clicking impact in Bollywood.
Several other Pakistani actors to gain fame in Bollywood include Somy Ali, Meesha Shafi, Javed Sheikh, Salma Agha and Mohsin Khan. But most of them were just one or two movie wonders and soon became memories from the past.
Let’s see if the new actors can carve a niche for themselves in the B-Town. Or will they get to taste the bitterness of failure?
However, wishing good luck to Team Khubsoorat, especially Prince Charming Fawad Khan!