The late Kannada actor Rajkumar is one of the legendary actors Indian cinema has produced. His original name was Singanalluru Puttaswamayya Muthuraju but was popularly known by his stage name “Rajkumar”. He had a huge fan following among Kannadigas and was considered as their matinée idol. He began his acting career at the young age of 8, with his dad's drama company named Gubbi. He has acted in over 200 films thus leaving a long legacy behind for Kannada film lovers.
Today on his 88th birth anniversary, Google has dedicated their today’s doodle by showing a houseful theatre where a Rajkumar movie is being played. He was also a singer trained in classical music. Even his inning as a singer was a notable one, with over 300 film songs and 400 devotional songs, which include popular hits like Yaare Koogadali, Anuraga Enaytu and Jenina Holeyo.
We share a few major highlights of his glorious 50+ years of acting career here:
1) He was also known as Nata Saarvabhouma (Emperor of Actors), Bangarada Manushya (Man of Gold), Vara Nata (Gifted Actor) and Rajanna (Brother Raj).
2) He was a part of Kannada language movement and has advocated the cause of seeking primacy to Kannada.
3) The Bollywood's evergreen queen Rekha made her debut as a lead actress in Operation Jackpot Nalli C.I.D 999 with him, in 1969.
4) He was the first Indian actor to feature as James Bond in Jedara Bale.
5) He has won one National Film Award, 11 Karnataka State Awards and 10 South Filmfare awards.
6) In 1983, Government of India honored him with Padma Bhushan.
7) The notorious Indian brigand and dacoit Veerappan kidnapped him. He was released unharmed after 108 days.