When Seth Meyers was announced as the host of the 66th Primetime Emmy Awards, we were cautiously optimistic. Even though we love the Late Night host, comedians hosting award shows doesn’t always turn out to be as funny as expected.
However, all our doubts vanished as soon as the SNL alumnus stepped on stage. In his monologue, Meyers poked fun at everything; including MTV, network TV, Netflix, Game of Thrones and everything in between!
If you missed the telecast, here are some of Seth Meyers’ best jokes from the evening:
- "We’re doing this show on Monday, in part, because MTV aired the Video Music Awards last night. That’s right, MTV still has an award show for music videos, even though they no longer show music videos. That’s like network TV holding an award show and giving all the trophies to cable and Netflix!"
- "We had comedies that made you laugh, and comedies that made you cry; because they were dramas submitted as comedies."
- "I would like to take a minute to congratulate the writers in the room tonight, but their seats are too far away for them to hear me."
- "This year, we saw the series finales of many popular shows; including Breaking Bad, Dexter and How I Met Your Mother. If you had asked me which of those shows would have the saddest ending, I would not have picked the one about the nice man telling a story to his children. That’s right, kids. Jesse Pinkman lived, Dexter lived, but your mother didn’t make it. Sleep tight."
- "Shows like Game of Thrones, The Good Wife and Fargo have the right idea. When your show starts getting some attention and critical acclaim, kill off all the main characters. Otherwise, before you know it, you’re paying Sheldon a million dollars per episode."
- "HBO is like the kid you grew up with who ended up doing way better than you expected. 99 nominations? When I first met HBO, all he had was Grease 2 and Fraggle Rock. I wish I was nicer to him."
- "Cable is looking at Netflix the way Justin Bieber looks at One Direction… through a cloud of marijuana smoke."
- "If you’re an actor on Game of Thrones, I imagine you wait for next week’s script the way most people wait for biopsy results."
In fact, Meyers also had a joke for all those jokes that fell flat:
"Jokes are like nominees; they can’t all be winners."
Watch the hilarious monologue right here: