The Caribbean Premier League 2019 is more than halfway through the group stages, and we have already had some of the best T20 matches of the year. Some outstanding cricket has been played already – Carlos Brathwaite’s St. Kitts and Nevis Patriots have been a revelation so far, winning 3 out of their 7 T20 games, but chasing 200+ scores sensationally in two of them and tying one (winning on an eliminator) against the favorites Trinbago Knight Riders. The points table has been busy.
One of the scores the Patriots chased down was the second-highest T20 chase of all time – 242 – against the Jamaica Tallawahs. The Tallawahs’ 241 was scored on the back of a Chris Gayle century. A Chris Gayle century is a very common phenomenon in T20 cricket. 2019 is supposed to be his farewell season, but the Jamaican left-hander has shown no signs of slowing down despite a middling World Cup campaign. He is a “T20 mercenary” in the best sense possible. He hasn’t been at his best in IPL cricket for a few years, but that does not change his legacy.
Here’s a look at his amazing T20 career in statistics:
– Chris Gayle’s 116 was the 39-year-old’s 22nd T20 century of a glittering career. This is by far the highest in the format. To put things into perspective, the second highest number of T20 centuries (across franchise and international cricket) is Brendon McCullum’s 7.
– 15 out of his 22 T20 centuries have been not out.
– He has played a record 389 T20 matches for 21 different T20 teams across the globe. Chris Gayle is the only batsman in this format with over 13000 runs.
– Gayle has scored only 2 T20 international hundreds for West Indies in 58 games. But he is the only batsman to score two World T20 centuries. The other 20 centuries are in domestic franchise cricket. His 958 sixes is a world record too.
– Gayle holds the record for highest number of runs (2255) in the Caribbean Premier League. He also has scored the maximum IPL centuries (6). He averages 41.9 in IPL and 43 in CPL.
– Gayle’s average in T20 cricket is a stunning 39, which is more than his average in ODI cricket.
– Gayle is the only batsman ever to score a triple century in Test cricket along with a double century in ODI cricket and a century in T20I cricket.
– Gayle’s most unsuccessful league remains the PSL, where he averaged only 18 over two seasons.
– Gayle’s 175* in IPL 2012 remains the highest ever T20 score by a player.
– Gayle became the first-ever cricketer to score a century in all formats of the game. His World T20 century in 2007 made him the first to score a T20I century.
To witness the best crickets matches and other sports events live, book your tickets here >>