And there we have it. 132 Kabaddi games across twelve venues and more than two months later, the playoffs of the 7th season of the PKL are here. It’s the home stretch. Just 5 games remain. And the top 6 teams of PKL 2019 will do battle in Ahmedabad at the EKA Arena. The PKL 2019 final will take place on October 19th at 7.30 PM.
Here are five quick facts before the final week of the Pro Kabaddi League 2019 gets underway:
– The playoff format is new this season, with a double round-robin stage including two simultaneous eliminators (3 v/s 6, 4 v/s 5), the winners of which will face the top two teams (Dabang Delhi and Bengal Warriors) in the two simultaneous semifinals. The two winners of the semis will face off on October 19.
– This is the first time Dabang Delhi has topped the PKL points table. This is only the second time DD have made the playoffs. They have finished 6th, 7th, 8th, 7th, last in the zone, 3rd in the zone and now on top. This season, DD has lost only 4 of their 22 games, finishing on 85 points, just ahead of Bengal’s 83. The Warriors topped their zone in Season 5; this is their highest points tally too.
– Only 2 of the 6 playoff teams has won the PKL title before. Bengaluru Bulls, which scraped through to the playoffs this season above Jaipur Pink Panthers, finished 6th and are the defending champions. U Mumba, which finished fourth this season, won the 2015 title. The other champions – Patna Pirates (3 times), Pink Panthers (1) – had a bad season, finishing 7th and 8th respectively. The finalists of the last two seasons, Gujarat Fortune Giants, finished 9th. All in all, 2019 has been a season of surprises and underdogs.
– By winning their final games of the group stages, UP Yoddha jumped from 4th to 3rd, and U Mumba went from 5th to 4th by beating the teams they will play in the upcoming eliminators. The eliminators read as: UP Yoddha (3) v/s Bengaluru Bulls (6), U Mumba (4) v/s Haryana Steelers (5). Bengaluru Bulls hold a 5-3 winning record against UP Yoddha, while U Mumba holds a similar 5-3 winning record against the Haryana Steelers.
– Prediction: Bengal Warriors will win their first PKL title. They will face Dabang Delhi or Bengaluru Bulls in the final.
Book your ticket to witness the last leg of PKL 2019 live below.