For the first time ever, two professional North American basketball teams will play in India. Tickets are on sale on BookMyShow for the NBA India Games 2019 – an event featuring two pre-season games between NBA teams Indiana Pacers and Sacramento Kings – almost 40 days in advance.
The hype surrounding the October 4th and 5th games (7 PM IST) at the NSCI stadium in Mumbai is real. It’s not everyday that teams from popular American sports leagues descend upon a passionate sports-loving country that has more fans than aspiring players. Will Mumbai be able to boast about the fact that they hosted future NBA Champions?
Here are some quick tidbits about this historic contest to get us started:
– The Sacramento Kings are 1 of the 29 North American teams in the NBA (the only Canadian team, the Toronto Raptors, are the defending champions). The Kings belong to the Pacific Division in the Western Conference, widely considered the most competitive division in the NBA right now. The Golden State Warriors, LA Clippers, LA Lakers are part of the same division.
– The Sacramento Kings have won the NBA title only once in their history, way back in 1951. The Kings have reached the playoffs a total of 29 times since their debut season in 1948. The last time they reached the playoffs, however, was 14 seasons ago.
– The Kings had a decent 2018-19 NBA season, winning the most number of games (39 wins, 43 losses) since 2005-06, but still finished 9th in the conference, one position short of the playoffs.
– The last time the Kings reached the Conference Finals was back in 2001-02, when they topped the Western Conference and lost to the legendary LA Lakers team in the Conference Finals, one match short of the NBA Finals.
– The Kings arrive in Mumbai with a full roster, with players like young Marvin Bagley, Harrison and Harry Giles highly popular among Indian basketball fans. The Kings remain one of the youngest teams in the NBA, with one of the youngest coaches.
– The Indiana Pacers play in the Central Division of the Eastern Conference.
– The Pacers have never won the NBA title, losing the 1999-00 NBA Finals to the LA Lakers. They have lost 5 Conference Finals.
– The Pacers have made the NBA playoffs 35 times since their debut in 1967. They finished 5th in the Eastern Conference in the 2018-19 season, losing 4-0 in the first round of the playoffs to the Boston Celtics. The Pacers have lost in the first round of the playoffs for the last four seasons in a row.
– The Pacers arrive in Mumbai with a solid roster, with star Myles Turner leading the pack. Turner was one of the best blockers of last season, playing in 74 out of 82 games for his team and signing a contract extension until 2023.
– The Pacers and the Kings have played a total of 89 regular season games against one another. The Kings have won 40 to the Pacers’ 49. They split the two games at a win each last season.
Don’t miss out on the experience to watch NBA India Games live. Book tickets now: