When you think of Vinay Pathak, you usually think of all the times he’s made you laugh. Which is quite understandable since the man is clearly a comic genius. From the sleeper hit Bheja Fry, which he owned, to the many cameo performances in movies like Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi, which we loved, he has proven time and again that no one can put life into an absurd character, and time a comic line quite like him.
His brilliance in comedy may have you – and some directors – thinking that he wouldn’t be able to pull off a serious role. But they could not be more wrong. He was undeniably convincing as DCP Siddharth in Jism, he was heart-wrenchingly real as the bullied employee in Dasvidaniya, and his layered performance in Gour Hari Dastaan has to be seen to be believed. No matter what character he’s playing, he gets into the skin of it and makes it memorable. Which is probably why these dialogues from his films, make us want to watch them again!
1. Bheja Fry: Bharat Bhushan has made many an Indian crack up with his shudh Hindi gyan and absurdity. This was just one of the many gems from this annoying yet amusing character.
2. Khosla Ka Ghosla: The jugaadu Asif Iqbal knew how the world works, and if you paid attention to him, you would have picked up a tip or two, too!
3. Dasvidaniya: As the premise of the film was a bucket list, you expect it to be littered with a dying man’s epiphanies. But you don’t expect them to be so relatable and simply put.
4. Dasvidaniya: The film, despite its serious theme, had its share of light moments. Like when wisdom was being dispensed by a Bappi Lahiri–lookalike.
5. Jism: Bipasha Basu’s white shorts and sizzling chemistry with John Abraham stole attention away from DCP Siddharth, who had some important life advice to give.
Happy Birthday, Vinay Pathak! We hope to get many more memorable performances and dialogues from you!