For Sherpa contact details after booking your tour, call or text +91-9643982934.Meeting Point: Outside The Asiatic Society Mumbai Town Hall (Stairs)
Mumbai fosters art, culture and creativity in its every nook and corner and exploring this can be a magical experience. The purpose of this tour is to familiarize you with the art and architecture of South Mumbai.
The art tour hosted via SeekSherpa aims at familiarizing you with how to look and perceive art and its various forms. The tour enlists the following -
1. You start with the Asiatic library, which houses over two lakh books, and see it from outside (You do not enter the building. However for a daily membership fee of INR 100, you could enter, except on Sundays). It is one of the best forms of British architecture across India, and there is no better place to start the walk. You will learn about the history of the building, after which you will head over to the Jehangir Art Gallery at Kala Ghoda.
2. At the Jehangir Art Gallery, you head inside to see two exhibitions and engage with emerging artists, learning about their inspirations and the ways in which they hone their craft. Outside the Jehangir Art Gallery, you might find some local artists selling their art creations (their presence is weather-sensitive).
3. From Jehangir Art Gallery, you go to the Delhi Art Gallery, where you'll see the current exhibitions taking place by extremely established artists. Please note that the Delhi Art Gallery is shut on Sundays.
4. You also visit the Kenneseth Eliyahoo Synagogue (the Blue Synagogue) and learn about the history of the Jewish Community in Mumbai.
5. You then take a five-minute walk through the lanes of Colaba to the National Gallery of Modern Art. This gallery contains some of the best photography and videography in the country.
(The entry to art galleries is subject to an exhibition being held there. Please note that you might not be able to visit all the art galleries on the same day. Visits to the art galleries will be dependent on exhibiting artists.)
On days you cannot see all the art galleries, the history and architecture of Victoria Terminus (CST), Cafe Leopold, The Taj Mahal Palace Hotel and the Gateway of India will be included.
(Includes only Sherpa Fee)Suited for:
Art lovers, Students, Researchers and History buffsNotes:
Carry a Photo ID and dress comfortably. Please be sure to carry INR 500 extra for any entrance charges and/or paintings by local artists on sale outside the Jehangir Art Gallery. The art on display is not suitable for children below the age of 15.Host Info:
Sherpa ReetiWho are they?
Butterfly collector. Quirk. Irrepressible know-it-all. Foodie.Why them?
Reeti has always been fascinated by old architecture and the history and the people that inhabit a place.Languages spoken by Sherpa:
English, Hindi and Bengali.
Read the BMS review of the experience here